What Type of Trucking Insurance Do I Need?

Commercial Truck Insurance for Motor Carriers and Owner Operators

Making the decision to be your own boss and start a trucking company is the best way to advance your career. But it’s not as easy as jumping in your rig and heading down the road. Before you can go into business, you have to take care of some critical things and insurance is at the top of the list.

Let’s take a look at the kinds of insurance policies Truckers will need to protect themselves and the cargo you haul for customers.

General Liability

Liability coverage is the core of a Motor Carrier or Owner Operators insurance program. This coverage protects you should one of your employees damage another person’s property or injure a third party. Companies that operate loading docks and freight yards will also require that your trucks have liability insurance.

Auto/Truckers Liability

Very similar to general liability, auto liability insurance covers your company in case one of your trucks damages someone else’s property or injures people in an accident. All of your trucks must carry liability coverage to legally operate on the nation’s highways.

Collision & Comprehensive

Trucks are not only expensive to buy, but also fix after an accident. Collision and Comprehensive insurance covers you for the following losses involving your trucks and trailers.

  • Collision
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Hitting an Animal
  • Weather Related Events

Non-Truckers Liability/Bobtail Coverage

Sometimes called non-trucking liability coverage, bobtail insurance protects for third party bodily injury and property damage when the vehicle is not being used for business purposes (under dispatch with a Motor Carrier).  Bobtail is only intended to protect you when the truck is off duty.

Motor Truck Cargo

Just as it’s critical to protect your truck with insurance, customers’ cargo also needs to be covered when in your possession. A motor truck cargo policy extends coverage to your customers’ property should it get damaged, stolen or lost.

Trailer Interchange

Designed to specifically cover trailers, this type of policy provides protection against physical damage for trailers that you do not own. Trailer interchange insurance covers damage caused by fire, theft, and vandalism.

Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist

Some people are irresponsible and operate vehicles without insurance. Similarly, there are individuals who have insurance, but it is not adequate enough to cover damages to other people’s property or compensate them for injuries sustained in an accident. This type of policy will offset any payment shortages from a person driving without insurance or one with insufficient coverage.

Reefer Coverage

If you run a rig that hauls refrigerated cargo, reefer insurance is very important. This policy will protect you against losses caused by refrigeration breakdown, stolen cargo, or damage in a collision.

Are You Ready to Become a Motor Carrier or Owner Operator? Partner with RoadEx!

Getting the proper insurance coverage for your trucking business doesn’t have to be complicated. The highly experienced and knowledgeable pros at RoadEx will make the process stress free.

How do we do it? We have access to the best insurance companies in the nation. We shop the marketplace of all of the top trucking insurers so you don’t have to.

 In addition to great insurance, we also have insane customer service that is personalized to get you what you need fast! You will also enjoy our easy enrollment process and quick claims handling.

If you would like to learn more about our insurance division or all of the other services we provide, contact us today!