Historically, over-the-road truckers have mostly been men. However, like the rest of the world, times have changed and many woman are hitting the road as drivers. Currently, 6% of truck drivers are female, and that number is growing every day.
If you are a woman looking for an exciting career where you are doing something different every day, truck driving might be the right choice for you. Let’s look at a few reasons why so many females are getting behind the wheel of a big rig.
Truckers are in High Demand
Driver shortages are at an all-time high today and the outlook for the future doesn’t look much better. According to the American Trucking Association, our nation will need over one million new drivers to fill the void in the next 10 years. This is a perfect time for women to enter the field.
The Industry Culture has Changed – A Lot
Like most things in society today, there’s been a big change in traditional job roles. Whereas 50 years ago there were barely any female truckers, today 6 out of every 100 drivers are women. Single women or those with grown children have found truck driving to be an ideal profession.
In addition, there are many trucking jobs that don’t require drivers to be gone for long periods of time. Plenty of local trucking positions are available throughout the nation.
Why You Should Become a Professional Truck Driver
There are many benefits for women today to become either a short or long haul truck driver, including:
- Great Money – Trucking is one of the top paying careers where a college degree is not needed.
- Sign Up Bonuses – Most trucking firms pay a generous sign on bonus to come work for them.
- Employee Benefits – Many trucking companies have excellent employee benefits, such as medical, dental, and life insurance.
- Build a Driving Team – Whether it be with a spouse, a friend or a great coworker, driving teams make good money and have fun too.
- So Much More Fun than a Desk Job – As a trucker, you’ll never have the same day twice. Your career will be filled daily with exciting, new experiences.
RoadEx is Here for You!
The team at RoadEx understands what it take to be a trucker, because we have been there. We are a company of truckers for truckers. We offer a wide variety of services that help drivers be successful out on the open road. If you would like to learn more about what we can do to assist you in starting a career as a truck driver, contact us today!